England manager Gareth Southgate has said his selection headache was “more complicated than any other country” after announcing his 33-man provisional squad for Euro 2020.
It had been expected that he would announce his 26-man squad today, but that will most likely be on May 31 now.
The delay is likely down to the European finals this week, in which Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea all play.
Should there be a significant injury during those games to an England player, at least Southgate will still have time to announce a replacement.
“There are 12 players still to play so we’re always going to need additional players and added to that we have some injuries at different stages, that we have very little info about,” he said.
“We felt more time will help us make better decisions.
“Our preference was to name the 26, but we have not got an ideal hand of cards – a lot of unknowns. Info and evidence are very important and we will have a lot more in the next seven days.”
Allstar-bets.com is the place to go to get the latest betting offers ahead of the tournament, with Southgate’s men once of the fancied nations to take the crown.
One player who could play a big part is Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold, who had been left out of the previous England squad in March, being one of four right-backs.
“You’re looking at four right-backs, I just see four good footballers,” Southgate said.
“Kieran Trippier can play at left-back. Alexander-Arnold can play at wing-back, I think he can play midfield.
“I’ve seen Reece James play on the right side of a back three, at wing-back and as a midfielder. Those flexible players who can fulfil different roles will be hugely important.”